Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Thing #11 Digital Citizenship

This is something close to my heart. When I was young, the authority was my dad, encyclopedias, or another library resource. Now, students just "google it" when they need info. Alas, I do this too.

One difference I have noticed between my students and myself is that I tend to search many sites, consult colleagues, etc. before making a determination that the information I sought out is indeed valid. Our students need to be reminded that sometimes not all resources are reliable. Our students need to be coached and encouraged to seek out multiple resources, check for validity, and confer with colleagues and teachers. It would be great if we could find professionals "on call" that would be willing to verify the findings via a conference call, email or chat. Talk about connected learning!

Our students need to also remember internet safety and responsibility. It is our job as parents and educators to coach and monitor positive internet experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment