Saturday, July 18, 2009

Thing #2 Image Generators

Wordle vs. WordSift
I like wordle for main concepts, vocabulary, etc. and have indeed used it in class.
WordSift is VERY cool. I like the idea of having the words become automatic internet tags. The downside to that is perhaps sites might not be as filtered as they should be for our students? Of course, if they are using WordSift at school, they will have the advantage of the district filter. What intrigues me the most is that I can create a document or page on my website that also has a WordSift. It can help generate MORE resources for students than just those I have provided.

Glogster
Wow!! I LOVE THIS IDEA! Students LOVE technology. Most posters I get from students are not that great. I think it's because paper, scissors, and glue don't necessarily hold their interest anymore. I'd much rather have a photo gallery on my website of student created materials and small printed versions hanging in our rooms than large posters that are not very good. I have a saying about math. I created a very basic glog. This could also be used by teachers to highlight main concepts in a vivid way and embed them on our websites. Glogster gets an A+ from me! My "poster" is below, but I need to play around with how to imbed it correctly in my blog. Here is also a link to it. http://txdragnfly.glogster.com/Math-Language/



Voicethread
This looks very interesting. I've used Photostory a lot in the past and like it. I can see the benefit of Voicethread over Photostory due to the multi-media advantage. Additionally, I like the collaborative aspect. It's wonderful to create a product that others can access and leave feedback. I will certainly try this out this year.

Animoto vs. Voki
WOW! I could almost say the same thing about Animoto that I said about Voicethread. I love the idea. This to me would be a better way to make presentations rather than "boring" PowerPoints. Students can take photos of written work and actual experiments and activities. These images of their learning process set to music can be powerful presentations that allow students to shine, others to learn and celebrate the uniqueness of each student.

Vokis could be used for those students who are auditory as well as visual learners.

Bookr
I'm a math teacher, but I can see how this would greatly benefit early childhood and ESL teachers. Many times the materials we give our students are hard for them to understand the decifer, esp. if their reading / english skills are not strong. Other core teachers could use them or have their students create products that summarize and expand on units of study.

Overall, these are some great new learning tools! It's cool to find new and interesting things that bring technology into the classroom. Students will appreciate the wide variety of tools they can use, esp. if they are given overviews of each and allowed to explore and create on their own. Students will end up using the ones they like best and products might be of higher quality than if they are required to use only one type of media, tool, etc. This has also got me thinking that I need to review my original 23 things and make a list of all the resources and brainstorm ways each tool can be used in our classroom. It can be revised throughout the year and can also be made into a large classroom poster. Having a running list in class and on my website (w/ links) would be a great resource for my students as they create the products that will bring the curriculum alive.

1 comment:

  1. Be sure when you go back t oGlogster, you try some of the interactive things...put in links or video, etc. Makes it even more fun and exciting!

    ReplyDelete