Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Thing #4 Video Hosting

I have created an extensive website for my math students. It has almost every resources, document, etc. they need to be successful in my class. It's almost like having me in their living room! I have toyed with the idea of creating and uploading teaching/learning videos. First I need a video camera that allows me to upload my videos to my pc. Any ideas (it needs to be "inexpensive") ?

For me, the best advantage for my students is that when they miss class they can go online and click on the video and print my documents. This would allow them to get the information and do the assignments w/o having to be in class. They wouldn't fall behind and increase their anxiety level. Additionally, parents can watch the videos themselves to see exactly what we are doing in class and how we are doing it. This is definitely something I want to try out this year. I am a huge proponent of online learning as I've taken many classes myself and online videos are the best for visual learners like me. Having these videos online (and backed-up) on CD would also be a great help for substitutes when I'm out and analyzing my own teaching to continue to make improvements.

I've had students create videos for a mathematicians in history project and they were fantastic! Many of our students are very creative and enjoy making videos. In fact, they get more interested in their learning when they are allowed to explore and create through different avenues. Having them uploaded would be a great benefit for other students to see what is possible and for parents and administrators to see the great things our students are doing. Student uploaded videos can also be a great collaborative measure for connecting with students and classrooms globally. I would be interested to see how many professionals would like to see them too and what constructive feedback. How exciting would that be?

I think students should start out uploading to SchoolTube and TeacherTube first then branch out to YouTube, Google Videos, etc.

Here is my attempt to make and upload a video to YouTube. I used animoto and just picked random images from school (no students). Click here to view it at YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment